Inside Dixon Correctional Institute in Jackson, La., lives are being saved. The state prison is home to Pen Pals Inc. Dog and Cat Shelter and Adoption Center. It is a happy place, where dogs are walked and played with every day, and cats get lap time from the inmates who feed and groom them.
“Something good came out of Katrina here,” said Master Sgt. Wayne Aucoin, who manages the no-kill shelter.
After Hurricane Katrina, when Lamar-Dixon in Gonzales was inundated with animals rescued from the floodwaters, administrators at DCI offered to take in the overflow. They set up a makeshift clinic at the prison and trained inmates to care for the animals.
- virgingerroot likes this
- blissandzen likes this
- supersoygrrrl reblogged this from tehblackbirdincardigans
- missbananafish likes this
- styro likes this
- gilmoure likes this
- stuft likes this
- sixbucks reblogged this from missbananafish and added:
- sixbucks likes this
- missbananafish reblogged this from tehblackbirdincardigans and added:
- lostinhistory likes this
- hernameislil likes this
- missgingerlee likes this
- feelinghellastabby likes this
- tehblackbirdincardigans reblogged this from defendneworleans
- tehblackbirdincardigans likes this
- defendneworleans posted this